NDS® Probiotic Classic®
NDS® Probiotic Classic® is a multi-strain probiotic, especially designed to achieve and maintain a healthy intestinal microflora throughout life (and thereby also the health of other mucous membranes in the pelvis, urinary tract and airways). NDS® Probiotic Classic® was newly formulated in 2015 with the addition of M-36, the very well-documented Bifidobacterium longum strain. Enterococcus faecium has simultaneously been removed as it is currently hard to obtain in a sufficiently high quality.
It has been proven that probiotics with many strains are more effective than probiotics with only one type of bacterium because multi-strain bacteria function on all three levels in the gastrointestinal tract and in the body 2.
The product contains strains from friendly bacteria and works at three levels in the body. NDS® Probiotic Classic® contains strains that have been especially selected to:
- Inhibit harmful bacteria, such as Clostridium difficile,E. coli, E. faecalis, B. subtilis and fungi such as types ofCandida (Level 1)
- Improve the intestinal barrier function (Level 2)
- Affect the immune system in an anti-inflammatory direc-tion (Level 3) and through the close interaction between the intestine and the immune, hormonal and nervous system further affect processes in cells/organs and tissue such as circulation and bones.
The strains in NDS® Probiotic Classic® have been selected to work preventively and therapeutically in six areas:
- The inhibition of unwanted bacteria and fungi in theintestine, including the strain of Bacteroides fragilis which produces ETBF, a carcinogenic toxin.
- Support for the barrier function and the creation of lactic acid which normalises the muscle function and emptying of the intestine.
- Reduction of inflammation, both by increasing the forma- tion of the anti-inflammatory cytokine, IL-10, and by help- ing to break down lipopolysaccharides.
- Mast cell stabilisers and reduction of pollen allergy symp- toms.
- Immune system support, enhancement of the immune system in relation to influenza.
- Reduction of total cholesterol and improved bone breaking strength (animal testing).
Probiotics play a role, not just in the intestine, but in overall health, including blood sugar and regulation of inflammation. In addition, prevention of heart disease, osteoporosis and minimising harmful intestinal flora associated with increased risk of colon cancer. Probiotics should form part of a holistic, integrated care model for all health problems involving the interaction between the intestine, energy metabolism in mus- cles, liver and adipose tissue.